Lately the Supreme Court (or as some people like to say SCOTUS) has been a hot topic especially with their recent rulings regarding Arizona law SB 1070 and Obamacare. I decided that the best way to discuss these rulings is to first, admit that I am not a constitutional law scholar or expert in any way, shape, or form.
Second, the other way I am going to discuss this is with my other love–food. I thought a good way of keeping the conversation light, but still semi-informative would to be give your opinion with a sauce.
So if you like the actions of the supreme court I suggest you go with my cool avocado dipping sauce. This goes great with grilled goodies.
- 1 whole avocado
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt (you can add more later to taste)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- a pinch cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (again you can add more later)
Put all of these ingredients into a blender/food processor and enjoy!
If you really didn’t like what the Supreme Court had to say, and are feeling fired up about it then I’d say you better whip up my roasted red pepper dip.This goes great on chips or bagels.
- 8-12 oz. cream cheese (get the good stuff
- 12 oz. roasted red peppers, drained and dried or one’s you roasted yourself.
- 1 tsp. hot smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (if you need more spice add sriracha to the mix later.
- 3/4 tsp. salt
Put all of the ingredients in a blender/food processor and pulse til smooth.
Last if you’re completely confused by the rulings, or just feel ambivalent towards them, then go read someone else’s blog (just kidding)! I say you fall into my weird pesto category, as you know pesto is usually made with basil and pine nuts. However this one takes a weird turn, but is still really tasty.
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 cups cilantro leaves, washed, drained and stemmed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
Grind the walnuts in the food processor/blender first, then add the other ingredients with 2-3 tbsp of water. You can add more water for consistency purposes, just know that you can’t take it back once it’s there so add slowly.
So how do you feel about all of this? When was the last time in recent history that supreme court ruling garnered the same amount of attention and impact?
oh also I hope all my readers have a very happy and safe 4th of July!